Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Beautiful Darkness of Winter

I love winter. Being in tune with the change of seasons and flowing with it is very healing. The reason is that we are children of the Earth. It benefits us to be in tune with flow and to receive her good graces. It sure seems appropriate living in Michigan since it seems much of our year is taken up with this weather. The weather affects our health very much; mostly our resistance to it, or our negative attitude towards it. It dawned on me today, after picking my sweet little boy up from school, that I can now FEEL that Winter is feminine. As we move down to Winter Solstice, December 21st, it gets darker and darker. The solstice is the darkest day of the year-I think only 8 hours of light and 16 hours of dark. That darkness is the sacred dark of the female womb, where all life is seeded, where we have all come from and where we all return to. The womb is our source, as humans. The sun is the source of our planet. The Earth was born out of the Sun. But the Earth's children are born out of the Darkness, the womb. The darkness, the Great Mother is our source as well. And when she was married to the great light, the Sun, the child was born. That child was born of the sacred dark and fed the snow that is mother's milk. The hard snow coming down reminds me of the flow of mother's milk. I don't know, I guess this is Earth Wisdom 101 for those that have studied it. But I haven't studied it. I'm just observing it and internalizing it, as seems natural to me. May we all honor the sacred descent into darkness as return from whence we came.

No comments:

Post a Comment